Friday, July 26, 2013

May News 2013

Soooo…

Some of you may (or may not) be surprised to see this update announcing that we are returning to missions.   Funny enough though I (Kevin) am still a little surprised.  I honestly thought we were done with missions for the foreseeable future.  Maybe because we were so fixed on Ireland, I just didn’t see things continuing since the door was so firmly closed at the moment. We were tired after the year of ministry development in Duluth...

Beginning the Journey…Again
My concussion in November 2011 drastically changed our focus and direction.  I had about 8 hours of brainpower each day, and then would need to sleep or be unable to properly function. This accident took place while I was in the middle of a Bachelor’s in religion and a leadership development school within Vineyard.  (As you may recall we were pursing an opportunity to be part of Vineyard church planting in Ireland and mentorship when we moved up to Duluth in June of 2011.)  Throw in my dad’s near fatal heart attack the following summer and I had pretty much given up on missions.  I was completely fine with the plan of working a full time management job.


Thankfully God hadn’t given up on our heart for missions. 

There is nothing like seeing God move in another culture, or helping others to experience His big picture love. That charges and excites me in a way that no other job has or can.  I thought I could ignore that passion and just work a job that supports my family.  However, I was reminded that every job gets messy and if you’re not passionate about it, it can be very challenging to get through.  It was during one of these challenging spots of course when I was willing to listen.

Belize

Working quickly to pour the church foundation before the cement sets in the wheelbarrow

As you recall I took a short-term trip with Praying Pelican Missions (PPM) in February to Belize.  My role was unofficially “Assistant Trip Leader”, which meant that I was the go-to guy. Being a voice of encouragement during our service project (laying the foundation of a church in 100 degree weather!), running to get supplies, and cracking bad jokes to bond with the team and the locals were all part of the job. I got to work alongside Christians in Belize while helping a church from Rochester, MN experience “ah-ha” God moments. It went so well that I was offered a full time position as a Missions Coordinator with PPM.  Coming home I was so charged and stirred that Maureen said it was a no brainer for me to say yes. 
 

Being the Pelican
PPM is a bridge ministry:  They lead people from U.S. churches, helping them to be part of what God is doing in other countries by working alongside local churches. Their goal is to help people experience what God is doing globally by bringing the vast resources of the U.S. alongside other countries. PPM has been organizing short-term inter-denominational mission trips since 2003 when two brothers from Duluth, MN started the organization. This year alone they are leading around 7,000 people on missions trips around South Africa, North America, and South America.

For more information check out: www.prayingpelicanmissions.org

As a Missions Coordinator I get to work with U.S. churches to set up PPM missions trips AND will also be leading over a half dozen of these trips a year. This summer I already get to lead 4 trips in Puerto Rico. PPM is an amazingly detailed organization that is aware of the needs of the countries they work in as well as the staff that work within the organization. As a full time staff I get paid an annual salary of $12,000, and get roughly another $12,000 as commission from the missions trips. Which leaves me around $12,000 to fund raise a year.  I will include information on how it works to support a PPM missionary.  Feel free to send me an email if you have any questions about PPM or what I will be doing. 

The Stork Has Arrived!


Abigail Maureen
Born 3.14.2013
4:42 pm
7 lbs 5 oz, 19 in
She was an emergency c-section with the cord wrapped firmly around her neck. No complications otherwise and she is already a healthy
12 lbs!

In Prayer
o    Smooth transition for the family as I start the new position with PPM
o    Prep and travel planning for leading
PPM Puerto Rico trips this summer.
o    For good responses while fundraising and contacting previous supporters


In Praise
o    For a strong recovery from my concussion
o    For my dad’s overall recovery from
his heart attack.
o    For Maureen’s heart to be a stay at home mom being fulfilled due to my job at PPM. No more working opposite shifts either!


Blessings In Him,
Kevin Gamradt
Missions Coordinator, PPM
218.310.3808
kevin.gamradt@prayingpelicanmissions.org




 

No comments: